Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The instance on patch 4.1 - Souvenirs of your adventures.

A souvenir/reward: or pixels for your pixels?
Listening to The Instance podcast episode #223. Currently they are discussing the ability to buy in game items V "earning them" - I must say, I am actually not a fan of buying the items. I like earning the cool items you can find in games - they act as souvenirs of your adventures. For example: My mage has a NetherDrake. This reminds me quite strongly of that time in my life - when I was grinding the Netherwing rep, with a friend or two in game, and the things that were going on at that time in my life (redundancy - or at least the day after I got it I was made redundant - no correlation to the fact I was up 3 times a night from midnight to 6am to gather eggs in quiet time... honest!)

I actually tried through the whole of Wrath to get a Proto-Drake - it turns out it was in vein - but I did manage to get the Bronze Drake from Culling of Stratholm for my Priest, again, this reminds me of the time spent running that instance with friends to get it. As for the proto-drakes, I done the rep grind with my mage - who has the Netherdrake - with the Carebears in Sholazar Basin to buy an egg every 3 or 4 days. Over the months of me doing this religiously, I managed to gather a huge array of pets that I distributed amongst my characters and friends. Little memorabelia's but no Green Proto Drake.

I also ground Utgart Pinnacle to get the Blue Protodrake - but I seen it drop ONCE, and I lost the roll by about 1. DOH!

I also have the turtle mount on my mage from fishing. This proved useful in Vashj'ir - but other than that it is just a funky doodad that I picked up when fishing for mats to make fish feasts for raiding.

Put it this way: My baby blizzard bear is rarely out - but my vampiric bat from the Kharazhan halloween boss before Wrath came out is frequently out and about - I have memories of earning it and I enjoy its presence, like a happy memory flitting by.

Take a look through the mounts on your characters, or the pets: Which ones have the most meaning to you? Your sparklepony? Pretty, yes: it may even have some imbedded memory of sorts in your head. A present maybe? but I doubt it will mean as much to you as a hard-earned rep-mount or boss drop mount. The same goes with pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment