Saturday, January 10, 2009

Levelling my priest.


I have wanted to level up Asterra for quite some time, but I have promised to work alongside my wife’s mage as a leveling duo. I am a ball hair short of level 72, pretty much from healing people in TBC instances, and the occasional Utgarde Keep and Nexus run.
I recently respecced from a discipline/holy mix to pure discipline. I love all the new toys I have! Over the next 5 levels I will talent into borrowed time for extra efficiency, but for the time being I’m coping without it.
I am surprised how easy it is to solo with her actually. I have macros for many spells and abilities that she uses to activate trinkets and abilities, and with a discipline shield up, and my Inner fire, I can easily take down most same level mobs fast. Averaging 600-700 DPS, which I think is fantastic for someone specced purely for healing, most things go down before my shield, and I have found it very easy to AOE grind groups of around 5 mobs (shovel tusk herds anyone?) with holy nova, and finishing with a good 4 or 5k mana to move onto the next mob that’s in range.
I admit I am tempted to give Shadow another try (specced out of it about level 60 duo in outlands and heal/dps) but I have not heard great things about it, and I like healing, and want to make sure I get to practice at every opportunity.
My current healing technique is a bit messy I must admit. I have healbot on my HUD, and have programmed myself to use it as I find it easier watching health bars in that, than on the party pane, and its also very quick to get heals off to whomever needs, but I also have several abilities that healbot will not work with (Penance, Pain suppression) which means I have to target individuals. It is a bit of a mish mash, but I have now programmed myself up in instances to do most of my heals through healbot (flash, greater, binding, POM, shield, targeting target to fire off a penance by hitting the number 1 key)
As I say… messy, but it works.
I am trying to train myself up with Matticus (link) techniques – having player health bars on screen with Shift-V, and trying to re-learn to use the toolbar for casts (e.g. target player, hit, 1-= for a spell) but when something bad happens, I have to resort to healbot to prevent the wipe.
I’m considering trying grid out as it will basically make a window like healbot, but I can target players quickly with this to cast my spells, instead of mousing over the party panes or the screen to target. Efficiency really.
Regardless, I am hoping to get this priest to 80 soon, and start playing about with some end game and healing.
If anyone has any hints or tips, feel free to pass them on over.
-V

No comments:

Post a Comment