Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rogue Mutilate spec

After conversing with another rogue in the guild about my rogues mutilate spec, he has decided to give it an experiment.

Out of curiosity, I took to a target dummy to double check I was using the best combination and abilities, and test the sustained DPS for boss fights.

In combat spec i could take a couple of mobs at a time and I could do a good 650 DPS whilst fighting them both.

Enter the Target dummy with this spec (bear in mind I am level 76)

Almost a sustained 1200 DPS over a test that done almost 320k of damage - so you can see its not a few seconds of burst damage.

Sure Ive seen rogues in Kara pulling 1400 DPS - but Ive also seen rogues in Naxx pulling 900... I am convinced this points out that it is a decent spec - probably not the best DPS I could squeeze out, but with with my level and talent build I am proud of the increase from combat.

I am wielding two crafted Saronite Daggers. - the Saronite Ambusher and the Saronite Shiv. (I have a note on this at end of post)

Shot rotation:

Hunger for Blood to 3-stack just before the attack

Ambush (Didnt make a difference in the long run but its a nice opener :p)

Slice n Dice (2 or 3 combo points usually)

If a combo point didnt proc from this:

Sinister Strike then Eviscerate (This refreshes the SnD to max duration, which will be sustained for the duration of the fight.)

If a combo point did proc, eviscerate.

Afterwards simply Mutilate to 5 combo points (even if it seems a waste not doing it at 4 and wasting bonus combo points from the next mutilate, it proves more DPS in the long run anyway) then eviscerate.

Repeat the mutilate mutilate eviscarate combo (3rd mutilate if needed for 5 combo points) and refresh hunger for blood every time it drops to about 5 seconds.

Key points to note:

Mutilate is your core damage here, dont waste energy Sinister Striking as for 15 more energy, a mutilate hits for an extra 90 damage (at my level) in addition to hitting with your offhand with the same bonus AND giving a 50% damage bonus if you have deadly poison on the target.

Never Evenom. I tested it, and it is a waste of a finishing move. Eviscerate does significantly more damage, and doesnt drop the stack of Deadly Poison (Which will be doing a nice consistant 10-20% of your DPS, aswell as boosting your mutilate damage by 50%) from the target.

ALWAYS keep the hunger for blood buff up. 9% bonus is a LOT of damage - especially on an opener/finisher or when a trinket is running.

Cold Blood can be used for an Eviscerate or an Ambush to guarantee a crit, I recommend for the Eviscerate - at least for me, it usually crits for a bit more.

In this test, my Offhand is the Saronite Shiv which is a fast offhand weapon which is not ideal. I dont really need to worry about poison stacking as it quickly procs 5 times and stays refreshed anyway... Im going to experiment with 1 deadly and 1 instant poison, might miss the 50% damage bonus to the first mutilate, but I can hold off the first mutilate as long as I dont let my energy regenerate too far and be wasted. The Instant Poison should give a nice boost. hopefully offset the damage boost of having a fast offhand on my Mutilates.

I will be putting talents into Turn the Tables. This will pretty much maintain a constant +6% crit on you in raids due to the tanks dodge/block/parrys which is going to be about 30-50% of the time the boss swings.

I really am scratching my head as to why there are still combat specced raiders beyond looking good on the damage meters from the trash fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment