Monday, February 16, 2009

Dual speccing, good for mages?


So, I hear that training the ability to Dual-spec is going to cost in the region of 500-1000 Gold.

This sounds fair enough. For hybrid classes this is a damn good investment – especially if they plan to do a lot of solo or PVP work alongside their tanking or healing duties, but my concern is: is it worth it for a mage?

For myself, once I settle into a spec, I don’t tend to change unless there are major nerfs to a spec, or buffs to another that justify some experimentation. I think I have had half a dozen major respecs over the life of my mage. From Levelling in fire to frost at about 50 which I continued into raiding MC until TBC came out. Half way through outland I became Arcane, and when I started raiding I became arcane frost (40/0/21 spec I believe). I leveled as frost through Northrend then Went frostfire for raiding, changing to Arcane when the spec got buffed, and since then back to Fire.

If I done PVP I could take arcane as a spec for that, as it still has many powerful instant nukes – and my main spell for PVP always ends up being Arcane Missiles because players cant escape it…

For grinding mobs, frost is/was very powerful (at least until the Blizzard snare Nerf – not tried it since.)

I am sticking to fire or frostfire for raiding (I am mid decision on how to spec for the raids, but its going to be a fire/frost combination with either fireballs or frostfire as the primary nuke.)

If Dual speccing was introduced a month ago – I would have been a fool not to take it as I have spent a good 500g+ in the last week or two due to jumping about specs due to Blizzards flip-flopping with Arcane, to the point where its damage output is consistently lower than what I was originally doing with frostfire. /facepalm. Its been fun and educational but it mightily pissed me off.

I think for the time being my mage is a raid + farm junky. Fire or Frostfire is a viable soloing/grinding spec (quick nukes and good AOE ability due to empowering my blizzards.) aswell as the highest DPS spec I have access to.

For me… I don’t see me coughing up, at least not until I find an excuse to run with a second spec.

It is a different story for my priest however… a) she does inscription, b) I originally wanted to heal, but am not shadow for leveling and if I ever get her into raiding, it will likely be as a shadow priest. I will most likely be doing regular respecs to fill in the roles needed – and I have the ability to do it on the move. For her, I will definitely be coughing up – even if it ends up being holy or Discipline that I change between for different fights if I end up healing.

There is no argument that dual speccing definitely benefits hybrids more than anyone else (If a priest can be considered a hybrid) more than the pure classes, which feel severely nerfed right now I think. (Mage + rogue + warlock+hunter.) you have an alternative to your norm for grinding/raiding/pvp’ing, but that’s about it.

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment